Nutrisystem My Way is a portion-controlled diet plan from online weight loss company Nutrisystem.
The NutriSystem Diet began in a similar way to Jenny Craig (with bricks-and-mortar weight loss centers), but a few years ago they became internet-only (sometimes incorrectly called nutra system).
Marie Osmond and Dan Marino are their current celebrity spokespersons.
Nutrisystem also has a diabetic option available. (see below)
Nutrisystem My Way Options
The NutriSystem Diet program was once based on the Glycemic Index. Carbohydrates on the diet are generally low glycemic. A typical day would include 3 meals and 2 snacks.
With Nutrisystem My Way, dieters are provided with a customized meal plan based on their metabolic type.
The food is available directly from NutriSystem (via their web site), who ship the food directly to the customer. There are options for men, women, vegetarians, and Diabetics.
The idea is to restrict the diet to accurate portions based around the persons required calorie count. Food can selected from a pre-made menu, or you can select individual food items. The typical meal plan cycle is 28 days.
Nutrisystem has a transitional program to help people adjust to a new way of eating when ready to prepare their own meals once again.
Considering that a significant contributor to obesity is growing portion size, NutriSystem can be very helpful for some people.
Chef’s Table Entrees
Many have had success with NutriSystem, but people have complained about the taste of the food. Nutrisystem listened and created a new line of entrees developed by top celebrity chefs. This was launched in 2011 as a way to clean up their poor tasting food image.
The NutriSystem Diet program does provide more than a diet. A weight loss counselor is available via online chat (there is apparently no charge for this service). They also provide more information regarding exercise and building a healthy mind.
Five plans are offered, tailored to either men or women.
- Core: Costs around $85/week with auto-delivery option.
- Silver: This option for seniors includes recommended supplements and costs around $87.50/week with auto-delivery.
- Vegetarian: Costs around $75/week with auto-delivery.
- Diabetic: Costs around $80/week with auto-delivery.
- Family Plan: Costs $50 less/month for the second member of the family.
Nutrisystem Diet Fast Five
Nutrisystem Fast Five is an accelerated 7 day program designed to deliver quick results. It involves the use of meal replacement shakes.
This consists of the following:
- 7 specially selected breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- 7 EnergiZING shakes to rev your metabolism
- 7 Craving Crusher shakes to fight off hunger
- Complete meal tracker to keep you on track
NutriSystem D for Diabetics
The NutriSystem D program offers diabetics a simple approach to weight loss that can also help to manage their diabetes.
The program consists of packaged meals that are ordered online or over the phone and delivered to your door. Dieters are provided with calorie controlled packaged meals for each day of the week.
The meal plan includes three meals, one snack and one dessert daily. Dieters can select either a packaged meal plan or can mix and match from the meals available to suit individual preferences.
The daily calorie intakes are approximately 1200 for women and 1500 for men. 25% of the daily calories come from protein, 20% from fat and 55% from carbohydrates.
Foods on the Diet
Here is a sampling of foods on the Nutrisystem diet.
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- NutriCinnamon Squares Cereal
- NutriCoconut O’s Cereal
- NutriFrosted Crunch Cereal
- NutriFlakes Cereal – 40% Bran Cereal
- Lowfat Granola Cereal
- Frosted Oats Cereal
- Mini Frosted Shredded Wheat Cereal
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffin
- Banana Spice Muffin
- Blueberry Bran Muffin
- Chocolate Chip Granola Bar
- Apple Granola Bar
- Cranberry Granola Bar
- Scrambled Eggs – Smoke Flavor
- Scrambled Eggs with Cheddar Cheese
- Scrambled Eggs with Peppers and Mushrooms
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Citrus BBQ Glazed Pork
- Whole Wheat Ricotta Crepes
- Arroz Con Polo
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
DESSERTS / SNACKS
- Vanilla Pudding
- Chocolate Pudding
- Almond Pistachio Biscotti
- Amaretto Coffee – Unsweetened, Decaffeinated
- Apple Cinnamon Soy Chips
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Dessert Bar
- Blueberry Lemon Dessert Bar
- Cappuccino Coffee – Unsweetened, Decaffeinated
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Biscotti
- BBQ Soy Chips
- Hot Cocoa
- Chocolate Shake
- White Cheddar Soy Chips
- Mint Hot Cocoa
- Mocha Shake
- Chocolate Mochaccino Dessert Bar
- NutriCrunch Chocolates
- Sour Cream and Onion Soy Chips
My Way Tools
Criticisms of This Diet
Like most packaged weight loss programs, they are useful for short term controlled weight loss. However many people will not continuing buying foods like this for the rest of their life, and will have to ‘wean off’ the program.
As with many packaged food diets, some will not enjoy the taste of the NutriSystem food products. There have also been stories of some foods being substituted by NutriSystem at peak times (such as the new year) – this could be an issue if you have a food allergy.
Their new Chef’s Table Entrees hope to cause more people to enjoy the taste of their food.
See also a fuller review of Nutrisystem at Diet Blog.