Jillian Michaels’ Diet
Jillian Michaels, who is best known as trainer on the popular television program ‘The Biggest Loser’, has created an online weight loss plan that combines diet and fitness so as to provide dieters with ‘real solutions for weight loss’.
She emphasizes three major elements; diet, exercise and behavioral modification and says that they are all equally important if dieters want to achieve results.
The Jillian Michaels Diet Basics
Jillian’s online plan is based on the concept that in order to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you use. At the beginning of the program you will be given a daily calorie goal and information on how best to calculate your intake.
The recommendations for both diet and exercise are customized depending on your answers to a simple quiz. The program will be adjusted according to your body shape, metabolic profile, emotional tendencies, fitness level, personal goals and health conditions.
The plan is balanced and includes all food groups but the exact ratios of proteins, carbohydrates and fats will vary depending on whether you are categorized as either a ‘fast oxidizer’ that runs better on protein and fats, or a ‘slow oxidizer’ that requires a greater amount of carbohydrates in the diet to function well.
Sample Diet Plan
Whole wheat bagel with jelly and almonds
Oven roasted turkey with cranberry wild rice
Beef lasagna with vegetables
Honey roasted peanuts
Exercise is an important part of the program and you will be provided with a personalized exercise plan that can be done in your own home. Dieters are provided with support resources such as a fitness planner with a weekly exercise schedule and advice on how to perform exercises correctly.
These exercises can also be used with the Jillian Michaels’ Diet.
Costs and Expenses
Membership to the online site costs $52 per quarter which works out to $4 per week.
- Plan is adjusted to suit your personal body type, fitness level and goals.
- Membership site provides over 100 recipes.
- One week free trial.
- Does not require gym membership as all exercises can be done in your own home.
- Provides plenty of online support such as a members forum and access to ‘Ask Jillian’.
- Addresses psychological factors involved in weight loss such as how to deal with emotional triggers that may cause overeating and the need for a system of support.
- Jillian has the credentials and experience that show she is capable of producing results.
- Dieters must commit for a minimum of five weeks.
- Exercise facet of the program may be intimidating for dieters who are not physically active.
- Does not provide options for special dietary requirements such as vegetarians, coeliacs or those with dairy intolerance.
- Customizations are reliant on self assessment which may not be entirely accurate.
Online programs have been shown to lead to a greater degree of success due to the sense of community and support from other dieters and this is a major drawcard of plans such as this. The customizable aspect of Jillian’s plan and the emphasis on exercise and behavior modification sets this program apart as being unique.
The basic concepts of Jillian’s approach are not unlike many other weight loss plans but the online support factor may appeal to dieters who are familiar with her methods and would appreciate some help to stay motivated.