Cabbage Soup Diet
The Cabbage Soup Diet is a 7 day meal plan, aimed at achieving fast weight loss with use of a simple cabbage soup recipe.
It is not a long-term weight loss solution, but is known to be effective over the short term.
Apparently it originally came from a hospital (Sacred Hearts Hospital) to stimulate weight loss for surgery patients – but this cannot be verified.
- Fast weight loss.
- The change from some of our normally junky eating habits can be beneficial.
- Vegetables from the Brassica family (such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower) have been found to aid in preventing cancer.
- Many say they enjoy eating the soup.
This diet is not recommended. I Love This Diet also uses soups, but it is much healthier.
- Some complain that the Cabbage Soup a little too bland.
- Be prepared for gas…
- Requires will power.
- Lacks good nutrition
- High in salt.
- Not a long-term answer.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
1 bunch celery
1/2 head cabbage
1 package Onion Soup Mix
1 or 2 cubes bouillon (optional)
1 48 oz. can V8
Season to taste (salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc).
Note: There are a number of variations to this recipe.
Cabbage Soup 7 Day Meal Plan
Homemade cabbage soup, plus any fruit, apart from bananas.
Homemade cabbage soup, plus other vegetables, including a baked potato with butter for dinner (potatoes are off-limits on other days)
Homemade cabbage soup, plus other fruits and vegetables.
Homemade cabbage soup, plus anything up to 6 bananas and fat-free milk.
Homemade cabbage soup, plus 6 tomatoes and up to 450 grams of meat or fish.
Homemade cabbage soup, plus meat(beef) and vegetables.
Homemade cabbage soup, plus brown rice, pure fruit juice, and vegetables.
No bread, carbonated beverages, or alcohol.
Exercise Not Encouraged
Because of the very low calorie nature of the cabbage soup diet, exercise isn’t recommended. Going for a walk could be acceptable, but anything strenuous could be potentially dangerous.
The iPhone, iPad App
The cabbage soup diet is also available as an iPhone/iPad app for dieters to use on the go.
It tracks your progress and is loaded with recipe variations as well as step by step directions on how to make the soup as well as stick to the diet plan.
Summary and Warning
However some diets (such as the negative calorie diet) basically look at the nutritional properties of the cabbage soup diet, and make it more interesting by combining other foods that have the same effect.
There are also serious concerns regarding the nutritional quality of this diet. On many days the diet is low in protein, calcium, and essential fatty acids.
There is also high levels of sodium or MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) when using onion soup mix and bouillon.
Weight loss will probably occur due to the low calorie intake not because of some magical property of cabbage soup.
The New Cabbage Soup Diet which retails for $6.99
The Super Skinny Cabbage Soup Diet which retails for $4.99
- KATZ, D. L. (2003). Pandemic obesity and the contagion of nutritional nonsense. Public health reviews, 31(1), 33-44. link
- Roberts, D. C. (2001). Quick weight loss: sorting fad from fact. Medical journal of Australia, 175(11/12), 637-640. link
- Cummings, J. H., Branch, W., Jenkins, D. J. A., Southgate, D. A. T., Houston, H., & James, W. P. T. (1978). Colonic response to dietary fibre from carrot, cabbage, apple, bran, and guar gum. The Lancet, 311(8054), 5-9. link