3 Apple a Day Diet
The 3-Apple-a-Day Plan: Your Foundation for Permanent Fat Loss was created by Tammi Flynn, a registered dietitian and Group Training instructor at Gold’s Gym in Washington.
Flynn discovered that when one of her clients ate an apple before each meal without changing anything else, she was able to break a weight loss plateau.
Flynn experimented with this approach with her other clients and witnessed incredible results, with typical weight losses of seventeen pounds in twelve weeks.
Three Apple Diet Basics
Just eat an apple prior to each meal
The foundation of the 3-Apple-a-Day Plan involves eating an apple before each main meal. The idea is that the fiber in apples makes you feel full and the sweetness satisfies cravings.
Then follow a low carb eating plan
In addition to eating apples dieters follow a food plan that is very similar to the South Beach Diet with a relatively low intake of carbohydrates and reduction of saturated fats.
Refined sugars are to be eliminated while low glycemic index carbohydrates are emphasized.
Eat 4 to 5 times a day
Dieters are advised to consume 4-5 small meals daily, which should be based on healthy foods that are low in fat. Each meal or snack should also contain a source of lean protein because this has been shown to reduce appetite and improve weight loss.
Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables
Original Apple Diet
Tammi Flynn’s diet is really just a version of the original apple diet that has been around for decades. The orinal version just has one rule….
Golden Apple Rule: Eat an Apple Before Each Meal.
No other dietary restrictions are required. The theory is that if dieters eat an apple before each meal, the fiber in the apple will fill them up causing them to eat less during the meal.
This sounds simple and there is some truth to this, but diet should focus on being healthier as well as eating less. People who still eat a lot of processed foods may lose some weight with the apple diet, but they aren’t doing much to increase their overall heath and wellbeing.
Those following the apple diet will have greater results if they also clean up their diet by including a lot of other fresh vegetables and fruit.
Healthy Apple Recipes
Apples, low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, eggs, chicken breast, turkey, lean beef, salmon, oatmeal, brown rice, broccoli, lettuce.
Sample Diet Plan
½ cup cottage cheese
The 3 Apple a Day Diet recommends a combination of weight training and cardiovascular exercise is recommended. The book includes a 12 week beginners exercise program.
In the original apple diet no exercise is required.
Costs and Expenses
The 3-Apple-a-Day Plan retails at $14.95.
There may also be additional expenses due to the requirement to buy apples, other fresh produce and high protein foods.
- Eating an apple at the beginning of each meal will promote the feeling of fullness and reduce the tendency toward overeating.
- Apples contain soluble fiber, which can help reduce cholesterol levels.
- Apples contain flavonoids that help prevent heart disease, stroke, and some cancers.
- Meals are balanced with a combination of lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables.
- A high intake of lean protein reduces appetite and maintains muscle mass while dieting.
- Encourages the intake of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Easy to follow. No counting or measuring.
- Includes over 100 recipes.
- Encourages exercise.
- Meal plans are not very exciting and dietary boredom may occur.
- Dieters may become tired of eating apples with every meal.
- Eliminates many foods and does not provide any allowances for including favorite foods occasionally.
- May be difficult for vegetarians to follow the recommended meal plan.
Calorie Restriction and Health are Key
The combination of eating an apple before each meal and the recommended meal plan will reduce appetite which is likely to produce weight loss for the majority of dieters.
Apples are also a great source of fiber, which has many potential health benefits.
Some dieters may become bored with eating apples three times a day. Additionally the meal plan does not allow for cheats, which may make this plan difficult for some dieters to follow as a lifestyle approach to weight loss.