Kim Lyons Diet : Your Body, Your Life
Kim Lyons is a personal trainer, nutritionist and fitness model, who is known for her appearances on the television program The Biggest Loser.
Her book entitled Your Body, Your Life outlines a twelve-week program that Lyons says will help you to change your lifestyle so that you can achieve optimal physical, mental and emotional fitness.
She guarantees that in just three months, you will make great improvements in your health on all levels.
Kim Lyons Diet Basics
The twelve-week program; Your Body, Your Life, includes a complete diet and exercise plan that integrates behavioral and motivational elements. Kim Lyons helps dieters to identify mental and emotional factors that can potentially become a hindrance to successful weight loss.
There are four components to the program:
- Part 1 – All About You
Your body, your mind, your goals, your journals and your fitness.
- Part 2 – Your Workout
Understand it, plan it, work it and injury prevention.
- Part 3 – Your Nutrition
The bad fad, back to basics, beyond the basics, the deal with meals, grocery shopping, meal planning and recipes.
- Part 4 – Your Future
Re-assess and re-evaluation, glitches and gains, maintaining and motivation.
At the end of each chapter there is a homework section that involves various exercises and gives you several goals that will reinforce the major points that were outlined in that chapter. Dieters are also instructed to keep a journal so as to keep a record of results.
Kim Lyons recommends integrating a cheat day into your diet plan where you can indulge in your cravings to reward yourself for being disciplined throughout the week.
This also helps you to maintain a balanced approach to dieting that reduces the tendency for overeating that sometimes can occur as a reaction to an excessively strict diet.
Fresh fruit and vegetables, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, lean turkey, chicken breast, flank steak, shrimp, salmon, egg whites, almonds, peanut butter, light cheese, beans, low fat mayonnaise,
Sample Diet Plan
Chewy oatmeal cookies
Grilled lemon chicken and veggie salad
Chocolate dipped strawberries
Exercise is a major part of Your Body, Your Life and involves circuit training that is divided into three levels – beginner, medium and advanced. For each workout you will perform intervals of cardio, strength training and stretching exercises.
Information is provided on correct exercise techniques as well as how to prevent injuries. Kim Lyons also provides tips on how to exercise outside even when the weather is cold.
Costs and Expenses
Kim Lyons’ Your Body, Your Life: The 12-Week Program to Optimum Physical, Mental & Emotional Fitness retails at $17.95.
- Based on making permanent lifestyle changes rather than a quick-fix approach.
- Dieters are permitted a cheat day, which may make the program easier to stick with.
- Program is created by a fitness expert with experience helping people lose weight.
- Includes inspiring stories of successful weight loss.
- Includes a meal plan and recipes.
- Does not include any particularly unique information.
- Will not appeal to dieters who don’t enjoy exercise.
- Advice may not be relevant to dieters who do not feel that behavioral or psychological elements are involved in their weight gain.
- May not appeal to male readers.
Kim Lyons’ Your Body, Your Life is a practical and inspiring guide that will help dieters to adjust their diet, fitness and psychological attitude in a way that supports healthy weight loss.
Although the program lasts for twelve weeks, it is possible to continue with this plan as a long-term lifestyle approach to weight maintenance.
- Walfish, S. (2004). Self-assessed emotional factors contributing to increased weight gain in pre-surgical bariatric patients. Obesity surgery, 14(10), 1402-1405. abstract
- Kenardy, J., Arnow, B., Kenardy, J., & Agras, W. S. (1995). The Emotional Eating Scale: The development of a measure to assess coping with negative affect by eating. International Journal of Eating Disorders, (18), 79-90. abstract