Biggest Loser Club
The Biggest Loser Club is a website adaptation of the popular NBC Reality TV series – the Biggest Loser, Starring Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper.
The Biggest Loser is arguably the most popular series about weight loss to hit TV screens. The show pits overweight contestants against each other along with personal trainers and nutritionists.
Along the way, viewers get to see the very real trials and challenges that are faced. Jillian Michaels incorporates elements from the show into her own online diet plan.
Diet and Fitness
The Biggest Loser Club is an ambitious weight loss program. The exercise recommendations are an integral and essential part of the program and include a full mix of both cardio and strength training on a daily basis. A good deal of commitment is required to stay the course.
Diet consists of 3 meals plus snacks. Foods are broken down into basic groups; proteins, grains, fruits, dairy, vegetables.
The daily diet is this:
- Breakfast: 1 fruit, 2 grains, 1 dairy
- Morning Snack: 1 protein, 1 fruit
- Lunch: 2 proteins, 2 vegetable, 1 grain, 1 sauce
- Afternoon: Snack 1 vegetable, 1 Sauce
- Dinner: 2 proteins, 2 vegetables, 1 grain, 1 sauce
- Evening Snack: 1 fruit, 1 dairy
Protein Serving Examples
- Bologna, turkey, 2 slices
- Chicken Breast, no skin, 3.5 oz
- Peanut Butter, smooth style, 1 tbsp
- Tilapia, 4 oz
- Turkey, Ground turkey, 93% lean, 2.5 oz
- Yogurt, fruit, 0.5 container (4 oz)
Dairy Serving Examples
- Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
- Mozzarella Cheese, part skim milk, 1 oz
- Parmesan Cheese, grated, 3 tbsp
- Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, 0.5 cup
- Yogurt, Yoplait Light, Strawberry, 6 oz
Vegetable Serving Examples
- Broccoli, fresh, 4 spear (about 5″ long)
- Cauliflower, raw, 1 cup
- Celery, raw, 4 stalk, large (11″-12″ long)
- Mixed Vegetables, frozen, 0.2 package (10 oz)
- Onions, raw, 2.5 slice, large (1/4″ thick)
- Red Ripe Tomatoes, 1 large whole (3″ dia)
- Spinach, frozen, 0.75 cup
- Tossed Salad, 2 cup
Fruit Serving Examples
- Banana, fresh, 0.5 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long)
- Blackberries, fresh, 0.6 cup
- Blueberries, fresh, 0.5 cup
- Cantaloupe, 1 cup, diced
- Grapefruit, 0.5 fruit (3-3/4″ dia)
- Kiwi Fruit, 1 fruit without skin, medium
Grain Serving Examples
- Bread, whole wheat (including toast), 1 slice
- Bagels, oat bran, 0.5 bagel (3″ dia)
- Baked Corn Chips, 1 serving
- Baked Potato, with skin, 0.5 medium (2-1/4″ to 3-1/4″ dia.)
- Brown Rice, long grain, 0.33 cup
The Biggest Loser is an incredibly motivating show. It shows real people making genuine transformation and significant weight loss. The website format attempts to copy this inspiring format in the form of message boards and chats.
The Biggest Loser Club is a subscription-only weight loss program – and works out to around $5 per week.
It requires a real commitment – but the TV show is evidence that results will come.
- Gögebakan, Ö., Kohl, A., Osterhoff, M. A., van Baak, M. A., Jebb, S. A., Papadaki, A., … & Pfeiffer, A. F. (2011). Effects of Weight Loss and Long-Term Weight Maintenance With Diets Varying in Protein and Glycemic Index on Cardiovascular Risk Factors The Diet, Obesity, and Genes (DiOGenes) Study: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Circulation, 124(25), 2829-2838. link
- Svetkey, L. P., Ard, J. D., Stevens, V. J., Loria, C. M., Young, D. Y., Hollis, J. F., … & Vollmer, W. M. (2012). Predictors of Long‐Term Weight Loss in Adults With Modest Initial Weight Loss, by Sex and Race. Obesity, 20(9), 1820-1828. link