Weight Watchers is one of the most consistent weight loss programs in history.
Their program has helped thousands of people to lose weight in a sensible and sustained way over their 50 year history.
They have continued to stay up-to-date offering more and more flexibility with their plans.
They also have an entire range of branded food products, scores of recipe and cookbooks, and even produce a magazine!
Weight Watchers Basics
Weight Watchers focuses on the PointsPlus® program, where all foods are given a point value and dieters simply keep track of their daily points in relation to their individual goals.
There are essentially 4 levels of Weight Watchers services to help dieters be successful with their PointsPlus® system.
Weight Watchers Online Plus
This is their basic level of service and includes:
- 24/7 live chat with trained weight loss coaches.
- Weight Watchers’ digital tools and mobile apps.
- Thousands of recipes and meal ideas.
- Seamless activity tracking with your devices.
- Access to a comprehensive video series.
- An online support community.
Weight Watchers OnlinePlus is just under $19 a month.
The 2nd level of service includes everything in the OnlinePlus level along with personal coaching.
Members are assigned a personal coach who will do the following:
- Provide one on one phone sessions and emails.
- Develop a personalized action plan for you.
- Provide motivation and accountability.
Personalized coaching costs about $55 a month.
For dieters that prefer face to face contact, Weight Watchers meetings are also available if they exist in a dieter’s location.
This level includes everything in the OnlinePlus level plus access to weekly meetings and private weigh-ins.
Prices vary depending on location.
This is everything: Personal coaching, Meetings, plus all the benefits of the OnlinePlus program.
Weight Watchers Benefits
The ongoing Weight Watchers program is flexible and allows for steady weight loss. Using the techniques Weight Watchers teaches, you will be able to:
- Learn to handle hunger and beat temptation
- Stay full longer, with delicious food.
- Make healthy, smart choices second nature
- Get expert information based on the latest nutritional research
- Learn to choose food wisely with the PointsPlus® System
- Adapt the program to your needs
- No required or forbidden foods
- Smart Phone Apps to Take Weight Watchers everywhere
Weight Watchers is designed to help you look at food in a fresh way as there are no required foods or forbidden foods, but rather you should learn how to make better choices.
You should learn to eat smarter so you stay fuller longer, and you’ll get strategies for beating hunger and temptation. Using their PointsPlus® system, you will be taught about filling foods and satisfying choices that you can rely on to help keep hunger in check.
For instance: Both an apple and a cookie are about the same calories (95), but a cookie has a 2 PointsPlus® value, while the apple has a 0 PointPlus® value.
The program allows for some indulgences of the foods you love as well as allows for eating out.
What is ProPoints?
ProPoints® is the name of the new Weight Watchers Points system in Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. ProPoints® works in a similar way to PointsPlus® but with variations based on local food labeling regulations.
Is Weight Watchers Effective?
Weight Watchers is a sustainable (2 pounds weight loss per week) and workable program that has been successful for 50 years. It is common to see a number of people try different diet fads, only to return to Weight Watchers when things don’t go so well.
What Weight Watchers has to offer is the company’s best program yet and emphasizes lifestyle change as the method most successful for permanent results.
Pricing varies by location, so you will need to check with the Weight Watchers® site to find the exact prices and fees in your location.
- No diet program will work for 100% of the population – but Weight Watchers is most certainly one of the best choices out there.
- Some may not like keeping track of PointsPlus® values.
- Some may not be tech savvy enough to benefit from their tools and mobile apps.
Weight Watchers® USA – Official Site
Weight Watchers Canada – Official Site
Everydiet.org is an advertising partner of Weight Watchers.
- Dansinger, M. L., Gleason, J. A., Griffith, J. L., Selker, H. P., & Schaefer, E. J. (2005). Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial. Jama, 293(1), 43-53. link
- Ahern, A. L., Olson, A. D., Aston, L. M., & Jebb, S. A. (2011). Weight Watchers on prescription: an observational study of weight change among adults referred to Weight Watchers by the NHS. BMC Public Health, 11(1), 434. link
- Djuric, Z., DiLaura, N. M., Jenkins, I., Darga, L., Jen, C. K. L., Mood, D., … & Hryniuk, W. M. (2002). Combining Weight‐Loss Counseling with the Weight Watchers Plan for Obese Breast Cancer Survivors. Obesity research, 10(7), 657-665. link
- Truby, H., Baic, S., DeLooy, A., Fox, K. R., Livingstone, M. B. E., Logan, C. M., … & Millward, D. J. (2006). Randomised controlled trial of four commercial weight loss programmes in the UK: initial findings from the BBC “diet trials”. bmj, 332(7553), 1309-1314. link