South Beach Diet Supercharged
The South Beach Diet Supercharged is an updated version of the extremely popular South Beach Diet that was written by cardiologist Dr. Arthur Agatston. The original South Beach Diet is one of the most well known reduced carbohydrate diet plans and was designed to promote weight loss while also supporting cardiovascular health.
Agatston claims to have taken the diet to a new level with the incorporation of innovative exercise techniques that boost the metabolism without requiring dieters to spend hours in the gym.
South Beach Supercharged Diet Basics
The diet is basically the same as that outlined in the original South Beach Diet with some extra foods allowed. Agatston says that he updated the diet to allow for greater flexibility based on feedback from his patients and on his website.
As with the original diet it involves three phases and promotes the intake of lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. In the first phase carbs are dramatically limited to so as to reduce cravings. In the second and third phases the amount of low glycemic carbs are gradually increased.
The main difference with the new Supercharged plan is the inclusion of 20 minutes of a specific type of exercise called ‘interval training’ that Agatston claims will speed up metabolism, increase the rate of weight loss and improve general health. He states that interval training allows dieters to achieve maximum results with a minimum time commitment.
Interval training burns more calories than other forms of exercise, which is why 20 minutes is enough in order to achieve successful weight loss results. Other forms of exercise may require one hour of activity in order to produce a similar effect.
In addition to the emphasis on exercise the updated version of the South Beach Diet includes extra menu plans and 40 new recipes.
Sample Diet Plan
Morning mocha smoothie
Herbed low fat cottage cheese with chopped green peppers
Black bean soup
Two hard-boiled eggs
Grilled chicken, bell pepper and red onion kebabs
Ricotta cheesecake with lemon drizzle and pine nuts
South Beach have an on-line program that includes an 800 recipe database, and options for vegetarians. (see top right).
The book includes a 10-week fitness plan that allows to dieters to gradually increase their activity levels. There are three phases to the fitness plan that relate to the three phases of the diet.
Dieters undertake 20 minutes of walking daily that involves high and low intensity stints. Every other day dieters follow a total body toning sequence that can be easily done at home. These exercises are clearly illustrated with photographs in order to demonstrate the correct techniques so as to reduce the risk of injury.
Costs and Expenses
The South Beach Diet Supercharged retails at $25.95.
It will also be necessary to purchase a stopwatch for timing exercise intervals as well as a pedometer to measure the amount of steps taken daily.
South Beach also has a brand of South Beach Snacks that can be purchased.
- Good for dieters with busy lifestyles that don’t have time to exercise for long periods.
- Does not require gym attendance.
- No calorie counting.
- Includes a detailed meal plan with recipes.
- High in protein which helps maintain muscle mass while dieting.
- Encourages the use of low glycemic carbohydrates.
- With the exception of the first phase provides a balance of all the food groups.
- May reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- Can be adapted to suit vegetarians.
- Provides guidelines for maintaining weight loss.
- Some dieters may not enjoy the types of exercises that are recommended.
- Meal plan is fairly restrictive and many foods are forbidden especially in the initial phase.
- Fruit is eliminated entirely in phase one.
- Recommends processed soy foods such as fake meats and TVP.
- Many of the South Beach Diet packaged foods contain artificial sweeteners.
- No evidence that the diet is effective for long-term weight loss.
The South Beach Diet Supercharged will probably appeal to dieters who have been successful with low carb dieting in the past and have reached a plateau with their weight loss. The inclusion of interval training may supply the necessary increase in calorie burning required to restart fat loss.