Michael Thurmond: Six Day Body Makeover
The 6 Day Body Makeover is from personal trainer Michael Thurmond who is best known for his appearances on the television show Extreme Makeover.
He is responsible for getting the participants into shape and putting the finishing touches on their physiques once the cosmetic surgery is completed.
In 6 Day Body Makeover: Drop One Whole Dress or Pant Size in Just 6 Days – And Keep it Off, Thurmond promises dieters that they can lose up to ten pounds in only six days by following his program.
Six Day Body Makeover Diet Basics
Thurmond’s approach involves frequent small meals which he says help to stoke the metabolic fire. Dieters are instructed to eat six small meals a day, each of which include protein.
The eating plan is basically a high protein, low fat and low carbohydrate diet that restricts calorie intake to less than 1200 calories daily.
He combines this approach to eating with low intensity exercise such as walking or slow jogging to put the body into fat-burning mode. Thurmond also advises dieters to breath deeply into the abdomen because he claims that this will cause more fat to be burned.
A unique aspect of the program is that it is customized to suit the individual. Dieters answer a questionnaire in order to determine what type of metabolism they have and what foods are probable weight gain triggers. Dieters are then designated as one of five different body types and a separate program is included for each of the various body types.
For the duration of the six-day program dieters are instructed to eliminate condiments such as ketchup and mustard from the diet because they are high in sugar and salt which will interfere with weight loss. Dairy products and processed foods are also eliminated.
Chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, tuna, lean beef, whole grains, sweet potato, legumes, fruit and vegetables, especially leafy greens.
Dieters are also advised to drink 12 glasses of water every day
Sample Diet Plan
The following meal plan is for Body Type B.
3 egg whites
3 oz turkey breast
2 oz chicken breast
3 oz fresh tuna
2 oz chicken breast
|Evening Snack (optional)|
½ cup mixed berries
Exercise 60 Minutes a Day
Thurmond advises dieters to exercise at a slow pace for up to 60 minutes at least five days of a week.
Costs and Expenses
6 Day Body Makeover: Drop One Whole Dress or Pant Size in Just 6 Days – And Keep it Off retails at $14.95.
- Rapid results can increase motivation for dieters to stick with a long-term weight management plan.
- Eating small frequent meals that are high in protein can help to control appetite.
- Includes customized meal plans and 45 recipes.
- Includes a maintenance plan.
- Encourages exercise.
- Very low calorie diet that is likely to lead to rebound weight gain.
- Calorie intake is on the limit of that recommended by authorities for healthy weight loss.
- Diet is restrictive and may be difficult to follow.
- Meal plans are lacking in variety and recipes are uninteresting.
- Encourages a quick fix approach rather than a healthy sustainable weight loss.
- Abdominal breathing is not proven to increase fat burning.
- Encourages the use of artificial sweeteners.
- No evidence that different body types require a different meal plan in order to lose weight.
- Monitoring heart rate while exercising is required.
- Exercise recommendations are outdated.
A Highly Restrictive Diet
There is not really a great deal of variation between the eating plans for the different body types. As such it seems much more likely that weight loss will be related to the very low calorie intake of the diet plans.
Due to the highly restrictive nature of the meal plans and the reduced intake of sodium it is likely that dieters will lose weight on this plan however a large proportion of this will be fluid. While this may help some dieters to increase their motivation, others may respond to such a dramatic dietary change with rebound weight gain when normal eating patterns are resumed.