Metabolic Balance Diet
Metabolic Balance® was created 11 years ago in Germany by Dr. Wolf Funfack, M.D who is a physician that specializes in nutritional medicine.
Funfack states that Metabolic Balance® is different than other diet plans because it involves a holistic approach that will balance your metabolism so that you can achieve and maintain your ideal body weight.
Metabolic balance is designed to not be a weight loss program but a life style change.
Metabolic Balance® Diet Basics
The program is based on creating stable insulin levels through a healthy diet so that you will feel satisfied after meals and balance your body’s metabolism.
Metabolic Balance® is based on two major concepts:
- Every body has the capacity to produce all the hormones and enzymes necessary for a healthy metabolism. However to support this process we need to supply the body with adequate nutrients, which are obtained from food.
- Our body has the ability to develop an appetite for foods containing the nutrients it needs. However, instead of listening to internal messages most people select foods based on external stimuli.
Funfack says that we need to stop paying attention to advertising, which manipulates us to believe we are eating something healthy and to start listening to our bodies. He claims that it doesn’t matter how much we eat but rather what we eat and dieters are encouraged to select wholesome and unprocessed foods.
The foundation of the plan is a personalized nutrition program that is based on your body’s metabolism. This is created for you after a thorough blood analysis, personal information, personal goals, and medical history. You then meet with a certified Metabolic Balance® coach so as to clear up questions and help you with the practical matters of implementing the program.
There are four phases to the program:
|Phase 1||Two day preparation to cleanse your body of waste by purging.|
|Phase 2||Strict phase where you adjust your metabolism according to your personalized plan.|
|Phase 3||Relaxed phase where you experience the natural taste of food and can begin to incorporate more treats|
|Phase 4||Perpetuation phase where you stick to your newly acquired eating habits so as to maintain weight loss.|
The personalized nutritional plan not only tells you what your body needs but you also will learn which foods are not good for you and should be avoided. It includes three meals daily and snacking is strongly discouraged. Dieters are advised to leave five hours between meals because this is necessary to stimulate fat burning.
Simple sugars and high glycemic carbohydrates are to be eliminated because they disturb the balance of sugar and insulin in the body and stimulate the accumulation of body fat. Foods that help to keep the insulin levels low are preferred, which are those with a low glycemic load.
Dr. Funfack says that the body has a ‘protein memory’ and this is one of the causes of cravings and overeating with low calorie dieting. For this reason high protein foods play an important part in this plan.
The basic idea is to start every meal with foods that contain protein. The macronutrient ratio is approximately 45% carbohydrates, 20 % protein and 35% fats.
Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, nuts, legumes, eggs, goat and sheep cheese, yogurt, rye bread, sprouts.
Possible Day’s Meal Plan
|LunchSalad with goat cheese|
|DinnerTuna steak Provencal|
Roast eggplant, zucchini and tomato
Exercise is regarded as essential because it helps to keep the muscles fit and can accelerate fat loss. Recommendations for exercise may be offered in personalized consultations, however exercise guidelines are lacking in the guidebook for the program.
Costs and Expenses
The Metabolic Balance® program costs $899.00 or more. Services can also vary, but generally include blood tests, meal plan generation, and six hours of consultation.
- Personalized plan designed to suit each individual.
- The first phase can cause rapid weight loss, which can be highly motivating for dieters.
- Encourages awareness of psychological factors involved in eating and weight management.
- Personal consultations can provide encouragement, support and feedback, which may increase the chance of success.
- Does not eliminate entire food groups.
- Encourages the intake of a wide variety of fresh and unprocessed foods.
- Helps with management of blood glucose levels.
- Requires exact and measured portion sizes for every meal in the beginning stages of the program.
- May be difficult to eat out and stay on the program.
A Personalized Plan
The strength of the Metabolic Balance® program is with the personalized nutrition recommendations that are based on blood tests and the individual’s medical history. This increases the likelihood of specific nutritional needs being met, which may not occur when following a standard diet plan.
See Also: The Official Site of the Metabolic Balance Diet