Jump Start Juicer System
The Jump Start Juicer System is a seven-day weight loss program created by Brendan McCarthy, a health and fitness expert and television personality.
Initially he designed the plan for his chronically ill father, to prevent and treat heart disease, however he also used it personally to overcome obesity and chronic fatigue. He found that not only did it help people to regain their health but it also promoted dramatic weight loss in a short period of time.
McCarthy promises dieters that by following his program, they will not only lose weight, but will also achieve a healthier body, glowing youthful skin, sparkling eyes, better concentration and a lot more energy. On average dieters can expect to lose eight to ten pounds on the program, however some dieters have lost over twenty-five pounds.
7 Day Juice Diet Basics
For the entirety of the seven-day program dieters consume only fresh juices. McCarthy says that this will allow you to cleanse the body effectively and lose weight rapidly.
According to him one of the major reasons behind stubborn weight gain is because of an excessive build up of toxins. The body is unable to release the fat because fat helps to protect the tissues of the body from the harmful effects of increased toxins. When the toxins are flushed out of the system the barrier to weight loss is removed and the body is then able to quickly release excess fat.
An additional benefit of this program is that juice requires little to no energy expenditure in order to digest and absorb the nutrients. This provides extra energy that can be used for healing chronic health problems.
Dieters who are currently eating a lot of fast foods and processed foods are advised to gradually adjust their systems to a healthier diet by increasing the intake of raw fruit and vegetables. Over a two-week period dieters should be consuming at least three pieces of fruit and three portions of green vegetables each day in addition to two fresh juices. At this stage you will be ready to undertake the seven-day program.
Food and substances to limit and eliminate: include sugar, sodas, caffeine (tea, cola, coffee), oils, wheat, alcohol, meat, dairy products (cheese, milk, butter) and cigarettes.
Fresh fruit and vegetable juice, water.
Sample Diet Plan
Peach, carrot, ginger juice
Watermelon, cucumber, beet, parsley juice
Apple, carrot, cucumber, mint juice
Tomato, carrot, cucumber, parsley juice
Exercise is generally not recommended because extra energy will be needed by the body to effectively detoxify. If you wish to exercise you are advised to stick with stretching, rebounding, walking or light jogging and avoid intense activities such as heavy weights or high-impact aerobics.
Dieters are encouraged to practice yoga as a way to release toxins that are stored in the muscles and to flush the waste from the lymphatic system.
Costs and Expenses
The Jump Start Juicer System retails for $16.95.
A powerful electric juicer would also be required.
- Encourages a high intake of fresh fruit and vegetables (as juice).
- Produces fast results, which can boost motivation to stick with a long-term weight loss plan.
- Assists with removal of toxins from the body and may improve chronic health conditions.
- Simple and easy to follow.
- Not required to count calories.
- Includes a meal plan, recipes and a seven-day shopping list.
- Contains inspirational success stories from other dieters.
- Acknowledges the importance of a positive attitude for successful weight loss.
- Includes detailed information about the nutritional benefits of each juice.
- Provides extra recipes and tips on how to eat when the program is completed.
- Requires elimination of all foods with the exception of fresh juices.
- Many dieters experience uncomfortable detox symptoms such as headache, fatigue, joint or muscle pain and insomnia.
- May not be suitable for dieters who are sensitive to carbohydrates as many of the juices are very high in natural sugars.
- The metabolism may slow down and rebound weight gain is possible when eating is resumed.
- May be difficult for some dieters to continue with normal daily routines.
- May be physically or emotionally uncomfortable to be around others who are eating solid foods.
Good to Jump Start Weight Loss
The main benefit of this program is that it offers dieters a healthy way to get started on a long-term weight loss plan. The rapid results that generally occur are likely to boost motivation and to reset the appetite in favor of healthier food choices.
Rebound weight gain is quite likely due to the metabolism reducing effects of juice fasting as well as the tendency for many dieters to overeat following a period of restrictive dieting. The chance of lasting success with this program will be highly dependent on the dieter’s ability to stick with a healthy diet and exercise plan once the seven days are completed.
- Block, G., Patterson, B., & Subar, A. (1992). Fruit, vegetables, and cancer prevention: a review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutrition and cancer, 18(1), 1-29. link
- He, F. J., Nowson, C. A., Lucas, M., & MacGregor, G. A. (2007). Increased consumption of fruit and vegetables is related to a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Journal of human hypertension, 21(9), 717-728. link
- Savory, J., & Wills, M. R. (1992). Trace metals: essential nutrients or toxins. Clinical chemistry, 38(8B Pt 2), 1565-1573. link