The Duke Diet is available as a publication, and also online (see below). The program is operated by the world-renowned Duke Diet and Fitness Center at Duke University, and is based on a weight-loss plan made up of four components: Nutrition, Fitness, Behavioral Health, and Medical Expertise.
The Duke Diet is about losing weight and gaining health, and follows a four-week step-by-step program that allows you to
- Choose from two eating plans (traditional Duke Diet or the Low-Carbohydrate Diet).
- Eat your choice of foods from six food groups (portions are balanced for safe and lasting fat-loss).
- Select from daily menus and recipes (program contains 4 weeks of meal plans and recipes).
- Establish the right fitness & exercise plan.
- Identify barriers to lasting weight loss.
Duke Diet On-line Features
A number of features are offered with the on-line program including: Behavioral Health Assessments, a large collection of recipes + tools, food log, lifestyle journal, custom fitness plan, and exercise video library.
“In the five years that I’ve been following the DFC program, I’ve lost a total of 90 pounds so far. I’ve gone from a size 20 down to a 10! Plus I have lower blood pressure; it’s at a very healthy level now.
The great thing about the DFC is how much you learn. They tell you everything you need to know, from how your metabolism works to what your goal weight should be to how many calories you should be eating. The knowledge DFC gave me — especially about nutrition — has really helped me continue to lose weight and keep it off. I didn’t know anything about what I was putting into my body before the program. Now I’m aware of what I’m eating. I ask for dressings and sauces on the side, and I’ve eliminated fried and creamy foods.”
- Laura P.
- The Duke Diet: The World-Renowned Program for Healthy and Lasting Weight Loss by Howard J. Eisenson MD, and Martin Phd Binks PHD.