4 Week Detox Plan
The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan was created by holistic nutritionist Michelle Schoffro Cook. Her program uses many forms of natural therapies to restore your body’s functioning including nutrition, herbal medicine, exercise, acupressure, meditation and massage.
Cook states that the four-week program is designed to provide a thorough cleansing that is much deeper than many of the other detox programs currently available. You will systematically cleanse the various organs and systems of the body in a specific order that Cook says will produce the best results.
4 Week Detox Diet Basics
The program is broken down into four phases:
- Phase 1: Cleansing the kidneys and bowels
- Phase 2: Cleansing the lymphatic system (this will help with cellulite as well)
- Phase 3: Cleansing the liver and gall bladder (and you will break down fatty deposits in your body too)
- Phase 4: Cleansing the blood, lungs and skin
The basic dietary structure is similar for all the phases with the major difference being that specific herbal teas and special foods are recommended to affect the target organs. For example, in phase one, where the focus is on the kidneys, you will drink cranberry juice, dandelion tea and buchu tea. You will also eat one or two organic apples each day.
Throughout the program each morning starts with fresh lemon juice in warm water and a fiber supplement. From breakfast until noon dieters are encouraged to limit their intake of food to fresh juices, fruits and fruit smoothies.
Lunch should consist of a large salad with an emphasis on leafy green vegetables. Dinner will also include a salad as well as other dishes such as soups and vegetarian main dishes. Recipes are also included for healthy desserts.
Certain foods are to be strictly eliminated such as caffeine, alcohol, sugar, wheat, processed foods, fried foods, salt, meat and dairy products. Organic eggs are the only animal product allowed however their consumption should be limited to three per week.
Dieters are encouraged to drink lots of water. The nutritional supplement, Cellfood, is to be added to three cups each day. Cook says that Cellfood is an essential aspect of the program because it helps to flush out the toxins that are stirred up and eliminated from the fat stores and internal organs of the body.
Cook also recommends the use of a multivitamin and mineral, digestive enzymes, acidophilus and a green food supplement daily.
Almonds, apple, artichoke, avocado, banana, beets, blueberries, cabbage, carrots, celery, cherries, cranberries, flaxseeds, garlic, grapefruit, kale, legumes, lemons, olive oil, onions, raspberries, seaweed, spinach, watercress, watermelon.
Sample Diet Plan
Juice of ½ lemon with warm water
|After rebounding exercise
1 teaspoon psyllium husks and 1 teaspoon pectin in 1 ½ cups water or unsweetened juice.
Smoothie made with fresh papaya, pineapple and banana
Large green salad with tomato, red pepper and avocado
Celery sticks with almond butter
Large mixed salad
Orange, date and nut balls
Cook recommends exercising on a rebounder because this increases the lymphatic flow by up to fourteen times normal. Thirty minutes of brisk walking is also recommended five days a week.
Costs and Expenses
The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan retails at $16.95.
- Encourages the intake of a wide variety of whole foods and a high amount of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Includes unique information about the use of herbs and acupressure.
- May help to reduce cellulite.
- Acknowledges the role of stress management and psychological factors in health recovery.
- Contains recipes.
- Highly restrictive and will be very difficult to eat out.
- Many dieters will experience fatigue and discomfort due to withdrawal from caffeine, animal products and sugar, especially in the first week of the diet.
- Some dieters may experience digestive disturbance due to the sudden increase in fiber from supplements, fruit, vegetables, whole grains and beans.
- Does not include a meal plan.
- Is not designed specifically for weight loss.
- Requires the use of nutritional supplements, which may be quite expensive.
A Holistic Approach
This program will most appeal to dieters who are interested in a holistic approach to detox due to the inclusion of unique information regarding the use of herbs, acupressure and lymphatic cleansing.
However, unfortunately the lack of clear guidance or a structured meal plan may result in suboptimal results for dieters who lack the knowledge to ensure that the diet is nutritionally balanced.