100 Calorie Diet
The 100 Calorie Diet is the creation of sisters, Tammy and Susie Trimble, who lost over 100 pounds following their diet plan. They claim that keeping track of calories in 100 calorie units is the easiest and best way to lose weight.
The authors state that you don’t have to eat low carb or low fat to lose weight. On their plan you can eat your regular everyday foods and still achieve success so long as you account for the calories. Foods are measured in 100 calorie portions and tools are provided to assist dieters in this task.
The basic concept is to continue eating the same foods as usual, but to become aware of serving sizes. The authors claim that this will increase your success of sticking with the plan because you will be able to eat the foods you actually enjoy.
A great emphasis is placed on overcoming the diet mentality and just concentrating on what you will be eating today. There is no need to worry that you are missing out on foods like bread, chocolate or pizza because on the 100 calorie diet you can have these foods every day if you like.
Deprivation is damaging on a psychological level, the authors state, and it also slows down the metabolism, but they also warn dieters not to let their ‘fat monster’ trick them into bingeing on unhealthy foods and sabotaging weight loss.
Women are permitted a calorie intake of 1500 and men 2000 calories daily. Dieters are advised to spend their calories wisely, to only eat high quality foods and not to waste calories on foods that don’t taste good.
An important aspect of the program is planning and dieters are advised to write down what they are going to eat each day in advance. The 100 Calorie Diet also includes questionnaires to help dieters identify obstacles to successful weight loss such as emotional issues and poor stress coping abilities.
Dieters are encouraged to select a well balanced diet. Whenever feeling hungry ‘free foods’ are permitted in unlimited amounts. These foods can also be added to meals if desired.
‘Free foods’ include: bell pepper, broccoli, butternut squash, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, snow peas, tomato, zucchini, alfalfa sprouts, balsamic vinegar, bouillon, capers, carob, cocoa, pickles, hot sauce, salsa, diet soda, soy sauce, splenda and V8 juice.
Low Calorie Snacks at Work
Sample Diet Plan
1 cup corn flakes
1 cup baby carrots
3 oz turkey
1 cup plain yogurt
3 oz baked tilapia
Dieters are encouraged to find an activity that is enjoyable. Recommended exercises include walking, swimming, dance, hiking and team sports.
30 minutes of aerobic exercise is recommended on most days of the week.
Costs and Expenses
The 100 Calorie Diet is available as an e-Book for $39.98. The package includes a general calorie counter, a restaurant and fast food calorie counter, a cookbook and a food journal.
- Includes a calorie counter with a comprehensive listing of common foods as well as fast food and restaurant items.
- Increases awareness of the calorie content of foods.
- Highlights the excessive calorie content of many fast food meals.
- Dieters do not need to give up favorite foods.
- Encourages gradual weight loss within healthy limits.
- Food journaling is associated with a greater chance of successful weight loss.
- Alcohol is allowed.
- Includes recipes with their calorie count provided.
- Includes tips for weight loss maintenance.
- Calorie restricted diets usually result in rebound weight gain when normal eating is resumed.
- Calorie intakes may be too low for physically active dieters.
- Does not encourage significant improvements in dietary intake.
- Requires calorie counting.
- Dieters must plan their food for the day in advance.
- Encourages the intake of diet soda and artificial sweeteners.
The 100 Calorie Diet is a basic calorie counting approach to weight loss. It does include some useful tools, quizzes and tips to assist with losing weight, however in terms of the diet plan it does not have anything particularly new or unique to offer.