10 Superfoods Cookbook
The Superfoods Cookbook found in The 10 Things You Need to Eat is essentially a superfoods cookbook that highlights 10 simple superfoods you can include in your diet to improve your health.
The authors say that their book is about balancing the “desire to eat food that tastes great and the desire to eat food that won’t kill you.”
It is written by Dave Lieberman, a Food Network chef, and Anahad O’Connor, who is a health reporter for the New York Times. They worked together to create recipes including 10 superfoods as well as to provide readers with information regarding the science that supports their health benefits.
10 Superfoods Diet Basics
The authors introduce readers to 10 superfoods that meet the following three criteria;
- Have scientifically supported health benefits.
- Easy to find in most grocery stores.
- Versatile and can be incorporated in a variety of home-style meals.
One chapter is devoted to each of the 10 superfoods and provides historical information of their use, scientific details regarding their health benefits and a variety of recipes.
The idea is that you include these foods in your diet on a consistent basis in a way that is easy and delicious. To help you get started with this, each chapter includes recipes that contain just a few simple ingredients and require less than half an hour of preparation.
Throughout the book are included a variety of unique nutrition tips and interesting information about the 10 superfoods. The authors also explore a selection of other foods that they give “honorable mention” including pomegranates, turmeric and red wine.
Tomatoes, avocados, beets, spinach, quinoa, lentils, cabbage, fish, nuts, berries, pomegranates, turmeric, red wine.
Sample Diet Plan
Oatmeal with cooked quinoa
Crab and avocado over butter lettuce
Chocolate beet cupcakes
Cabbage cauliflower potato chowder
Costs and Expenses
The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them retails at $19.99.
- Encourages the intake of a variety of healthy foods.
- Food suggestions are supported by scientific research.
- Includes unique nutrition tips and interesting historical information.
- Based on commonly available foods.
- Recipes are simple and easy to prepare.
- Does not specifically address weight loss.
- Some of the recipes include ingredients that are not healthy such as processed sugar, vegetable oil, butter and cream cheese.
- Does not encourage exercise.
- Does not include a meal plan.
Improved Health With Superfoods
This 10 superfoods cookbook will appeal to dieters who enjoy learning about nutrition and healthy cooking.
While it is not a nutrition or weight loss program, dieters will most likely improve their health and lose weight by incorporating the food suggestions and recipes into their daily routine.